Economic Benefits to the UK
General Dynamics UK is one of the largest defence companies in the UK.
We work in partnership with the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) providing the nation’s primary land capabilities including, amongst others, Bowman, the British Armed Forces tactical communications programme, and the SCOUT Specialist Vehicle (SV), the replacement for the British Army’s reconnaissance vehicle fleet.
We have approximately 750 employees across our UK facilities, based in Hastings and Oakdale, South Wales.
We are a major player in Britain’s high-tech economy and defence industrial base:
- 550 highly-skilled jobs sustained on the site of a former colliery in South Wales by General Dynamics UK, plus a further 200 in Hastings (an area which has recently received Assisted Area Status).
- A pioneer in UK innovation, we have developed the concept of joint integration bodies for key systems and networks, in partnership with the UK MoD and other leaders in the high-tech industries.
- Our commitment to investing in our people opens up opportunities to offer local employment to graduates and highly-skilled engineers, and strengthens the entrepreneurial foundations for future business enterprises.
- General Dynamics UK has worked with over 100 Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) on collaborative projects since 2008 through EDGE UK®.
- General Dynamics UK’s Wales-based employees earn up to 77 per cent higher salaries than the Wales average
The Bowman tactical communications programme has contributed almost £2.5 billion to the Welsh economy alone since 2001, and almost £4.5 billion to the UK economy.
- We have built a unique UK capability in the integration and digitisation of Armoured Fighting Vehicles, bringing together the best of the UK’s automotive and defence engineering skills and successfully integrating 16,000 of the entire range of the British Army’s current fleet, from Challenger tanks to Land Rovers.
- Invested more than £12 million in a new UK Armoured Fighting Vehicle Centre of Excellence on the site of a former South Wales colliery by General Dynamics UK.
- Establishing a new Armoured Fighting Vehicle Assembly, Integration and Testing (AIT) facility in South Wales to deliver AJAX to the British Army.