Economic Benefits to the UK
General Dynamics UK is the fourth largest UK defence company and the third largest defence prime contractor in the UK. We have approximately 1,600 staff at eight separate UK facilities.
We are a major player in Britain’s high-tech economy and defence industrial base:
- We spend over £200m a year with British suppliers and have created over 300 jobs with our business partners
- A pioneer in UK innovation, we have developed the concept of joint integration bodies for key systems and networks, in partnership with the MOD and other leaders in the high-tech industries
- Our Research and Development investment over the past five years is over £14m and we lead a world-class research consortium with the MOD, bringing together industry and universities including Cambridge, Southampton, Cardiff and Imperial College London.
- We spend over £1.3m a year training our people. Together with our R&D capability, this provides an outstanding opportunity for research engineers to improve their skills when compared to their peers in more traditional manufacturing industries. Our commitment to investing in our people opens up opportunities to offer local employment to top notch graduates, and strengthens the entrepreneurial foundations for future business enterprises.
- We have built a unique UK capability in the integration and digitization of Armoured Fighting Vehicles, bringing together the best of the UK’s automotive and defence engineering skills and successfully integrating 12,000 of the entire range of the British Army’s current fleet, from Challenger tanks to Land Rovers.
- In the past three years, we have donated over £250,000 to our local communities in the form of charitable contributions and sponsorships.